Baked Lemon & Thyme Halloumi with Hot Honey
Close your eyes and savour the only bite of food you’ll ever need; sticky, spicy, sweet oozing honey drizzled over a salty, chewy, baked cheese hit with a dash of fresh citrusy lemon. Mouth watering.
Eat this on its own, as a tasty starter, as a side to any Greek (or Mediterranean) themed meal, or in a wrap with fresh veggies and a healthy dollop of tzatziki.
What you need
Small oven dish
- 180g block of halloumi cheese, sliced into ½ cm pieces
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. hot honey (optional: regular honey works too)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
In a small bowl, mix together the honey, lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme leaves, and olive oil.
Lay the halloumi slices in a small oven dish (they can overlap a little) and pour the honey mixture all over the cheese.
Bake the halloumi slices for about 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Serve immediately super hot, garnished with an extra squeeze of lemon, if desired.
✨ RECIPE NOTES ✨
- Hot honey: One of our favourite condiments ever, if you like a bit of spice with your sweet floral notes use the hot honey instead of regular. We pack ours with garlic too. You don’t NEED it but we highly recommend it. Check out our recipe for it here!
- Halloumi texture: Halloumi is known for its squeaky texture. This squeakiness is due to the cheese’s high protein content, specifically the casein protein, which forms a unique network of proteins that gives the cheese its characteristic texture. When the cheese is cooked or heated, these proteins contract and cause the cheese to become firmer and squeakier. If you’re not a fan of the texture, you have about 2.5 minutes to eat this after it’s come out of the oven for optimal squeak-free deliciousness.