Hot Honey Roasted Pumpkin Salad
Salads aren’t just for summer, and this is our case in point! Sweet and spicy hot honey, tender roasted butternut pumpkin, and creamy lush goat’s cheese tossed with lettuce and toasted walnuts. That’s autumn in a bowl, babe.
With a simple vinaigrette and topped with fresh thyme and parsley, this salad works great as its own meal or beside a Sunday roast.
What you need
For the roast pumpkin:
- ½ medium butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and cut into thin 1cm slices
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. honey (find our hot honey recipe here)
For the salad:
- 4 cups mixed lettuce leaves
- ½ cup (60g) crumbled goat cheese
- ½ cup (60g) walnuts, toasted
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- Optional garnish: fresh thyme leaves, chopped parsley
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp. hot honey
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Flaky salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the pumpkin: Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, toss the butternut pumpkin slices with olive oil, ensuring they are evenly coated. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Spread the pumpkin in a single layer on the prepared baking tray.
Roast the pumpkin in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges of the pumpkin slices are soft enough to be cut with a fork.
After 20 minutes, remove the baking tray from the oven and brush the hot honey glaze evenly over the pumpkin and sprinkle with half the thyme leaves.
Return the baking tray to the oven and roast for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the pumpkin is caramelised around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
For the salad: in a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, crumbled goat cheese, and toasted walnuts.
Once the pumpkin has cooled slightly, add it to the salad bowl, ensuring that it’s still warm but not hot enough to wilt the lettuce.
Prepare the dressing by whisking together the hot honey, apple cider vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Enjoy!
Energy (kcal): 450 | Carbohydrates (g): 54 | Sugars (g): 23 | Protein (g): 8 | Fat (g): 25 | Saturates (g): 5 | Monounsaturates (g): 14 | Polyunsaturates (g): 4 | Fibre (g): 8 | Sodium (mg): 250 | Potassium (mg): 150 | Vitamin A (IU): 250 | Vitamin C (mg): 45 | Calcium (mg): 20 | Iron (mg): 0.5
✨ RECIPE NOTES ✨
- Swap it out: Feel free to swap the lettuce for rocket (arugula), spinach or mixed greens, and experiment with different types of cheese, nuts, or seeds to suit your taste preferences.
- Make it vegan: Swap out the goat’s cheese for vegan cheese, or omitting it entirely. Swap out the hot honey for hot maple syrup (you can find recipe here)
- Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Note that the lettuce may become slightly wilted after storage.