Roasted Sweet Potato with Spicy Miso Butter & Honey Walnuts
Warm, hearty, crunchy, sweet – all the things you need in an autumnal side dish. Sweet potato, tender and freshly roasted, glazed in umami-rich spicy miso butter and topped with honey roasted walnuts for that extra bite. This recipe serves 4, but we always double it because it has an uncanny knack of pulling you in for seconds. We suggest you do the same.
What you need
Large baking tray
- 4 small sweet potatoes halved lengthwise, or 2 large sweet potatoes quartered lengthwise
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Flaky salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup (80g) butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. white miso paste
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha or your favourite hot sauce, adjusted to desired heat level
- 1 cup (120g) walnuts
- 2 tbsp. honey (for extra spice, use our hot honey recipe here)
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato wedges with the extra virgin olive oil, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Spread the a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
Roast the sweet potatoes in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, turning halfway through, until they are tender and slightly caramelised.
In a small bowl, mix together the softened unsalted butter, white miso paste, and sriracha or hot sauce. Set aside.
In a separate small bowl, toss the walnuts with the honey and a pinch of salt until they are evenly coated.
Spread the honey-coated walnuts on a separate parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 5-10 minutes in the oven, until they are golden brown and fragrant. Be sure to keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
Once the sweet potatoes and walnuts are done, transfer the sweet potatoes to a serving dish and put a spoonful of the spicy miso butter on each sweet potato.
Top the sweet potatoes with the honey-roasted walnuts and garnish with chopped fresh parsley or sliced green onions, if desired. And extra flaky salt if needed. Enjoy!
Energy (kcal): 550 | Carbohydrates (g): 65 | Sugars (g): 20 | Protein (g): 8 | Fat (g): 30 | Saturates (g): 10 | Monounsaturates (g): 12 | Polyunsaturates (g): 6 | Fibre (g): 8 | Sodium (mg): 550 | Potassium (mg): 950 | Vitamin A (IU): 32000 | Vitamin C (mg): 6 | Calcium (mg): 100 | Iron (mg): 2
✨ RECIPE NOTES ✨
- Make it vegan: Substitute the unsalted butter with a vegan butter alternative and replace the honey with maple syrup.
- Make it gluten-free: This recipe is naturally gluten-free, but be sure to double-check the miso paste label to ensure it doesn’t contain any hidden sources of gluten.
- Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.