Thai Tempeh Salad with Lime Ginger Dressing
Tempeh is an amazing way to get your protein intake up, with countless ways to use it! Here, we’ve got it as the star of the show in a sesame soy marinade, alongside a stellar supporting cast of juicy mango, crisp carrot and refreshing mint. Our tangy lime ginger dressing pulls it all together into a meal that’s perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
What you need
Large salad bowl
For the tempeh:
- 8 oz (225g) tempeh, cut into thin slices
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce or tamari (for gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
For the salad assembly:
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), thinly sliced
- 1 cup julienned or grated carrot
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup green onion, sliced
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup (60ml) lime juice
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger grated
- 1-3 Thai red chillis, minced (optional)
In a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag, combine all the tempeh ingredients and toss to coat. Let the tempeh marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours for a more intense flavour.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the marinated tempeh and cook for 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are browned and heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large salad bowl, combine the shredded purple cabbage, sliced red capsicum, julienned carrot, sliced mango, green onion and chopped mint leaves.
For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss gently to ensure even distribution.
Top the salad with the cooked tempeh and enjoy!
✨ RECIPE NOTES ✨
- Gluten-free: This recipe is vegan and can be made gluten-free by using tamari instead of soy sauce.
- Storage: To store leftovers, keep the salad and tempeh separate, and store them in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat the tempeh before serving.
- Toppings: For added crunch, you can also include some chopped roasted peanuts or cashews in the salad.