The Best Vegan Cheese Sauce
A dip. A sauce. A meal. Whatever you want it to be, this vegan cheese sauce can be it. Stir it into your pasta, serve it with a side of salty corn chips, drizzle it over whatever your heart desires. Ooey, gooey, creamy and packed with umami, it’s guaranteed to be the best cheese sauce you’ve ever had!
What you need
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight & drained
- ½ potato, steamed
- 1.5 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tsp. miso paste
- 1 tsp. mustard
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
Place everything except the oil in a food processor and blend for 3 minutes. If it’s hard to blend, add 2-3 tablespoons of water so it resembles a thick paste.
With the machine still running, slowly drizzle in the oil so that it emulsifies. Let the machine run for another minute until the sauce resembles a melted cheese sauce (like one you’d see on nachos). If it’s too thick, add a little more oil. Enjoy!
✨ RECIPE NOTES ✨
- Storage: Use this within 3-4 days of making – or freeze and use within 3-4 months. You may have to throw this back in the food processor after defrosting if the sauce has split, but after doing so it should be good as new!
- Soaking your cashews overnight: Did you forget to do this? Do you want this cheese sauce right now? A hack for the unprepared: boil your cashews for about 10-15 minutes before popping them into your food processor and this will work just the same.
- Variations: Try with truffle oil for a truffle cheese sauce that works really well on macaroni. Swap one tablespoon of the canola for truffle oil here. Or if you’re having this with corn chips, nachos, tacos etc add a tablespoon or two of your favourite hot sauce for a little heat!