Vegan Smoked Salmon: Carrot Lox
For the plant-curious, the seafood-intolerant, or those simply looking for a change, our Carrot Lox recipe acts as the perfect alternative to smoked salmon! Enjoy as a side for brunch, as an appetizer, or as a classic bagel topping.
What you need
Medium-sized mixing bowl
Airtight container for storage
- 6 large carrots
- 1 cup tamari or soy sauce (use gluten-free tamari for a gf option)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- ½ tbsp. caper liquid
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp. kelp granules
- 1 tbsp. miso paste
- ½ tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tsp. fennel seeds
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
Using a mandolin slicer or a knife, thinly slice the peeled carrots into about 3mm ribbons. The carrot ribbons should resemble the thickness and shape of lox slices.
Line a tray with baking paper and add your sliced carrots and salt. They can overlap each other; you don’t want to spread them out as you want them to steam. Cover with a lid or tightly with foil, and pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients to make your marinade.
Add the cooked carrot ribbons to the marinade, ensuring that they are fully coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid, and let the carrots marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but up to overnight.
Once done, taste the carrots for seasoning. If they still taste too, well… carrotty, then let them sit in the marinade a little longer. Drain the finished carrots and plate as desired.
✨ RECIPE NOTES ✨
- Make it your way: We’ve tried a few different veggies for this recipe, with other notable favourites including beetroot and parsnip. Carrots are our go-to, though – but if you’ve got some root vegetables around, feel free to try with those!
- Storage: these can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Steam it: You can also steam the carrot ribbons instead of baking them. Place the marinated carrot ribbons in a steamer basket and steam for 5-10 minutes or until tender.